Browse Photographs (52 total)

The Office of War Information sponsored this 1943 poster, which shows factory workers at an integrated aircraft plant during World War II.

In 1943 Maj. George D. “Spanky” Roberts assumed command of the 99th Fighter Squadron, succeeding Colonel Davis.

In May 1939, Dale L. White and Chauncey E. Spencer flew from Chicago to Washington, D.C., to further the cause of black aviation. Their flight was sponsored by the National Airmen’s Association and the Chicago Defender.

Janet Waterford Bragg (far right) poses with relatives, circa 1937. A registered nurse, Bragg purchased the first aircraft for the Challenger Air Pilot’s Association, Chicago’s first black flying club.

In 1948 President Harry S. Truman established the Fahey Committee (The President’s Committee on Equality of Treatment in the Military) to establish procedures for providing equal opportunity in the military.

Maintenance technicians of the 477th Bombardment Group prepare a B-25 for a training flight at Tuskegee in 1944.

A ground crewman closes the canopy on Maj. William Mattison’s P-51C before a combat mission, circa 1943.

During World War II, long and dangerous missions often meant that fighters returned to their bases with only enough fuel in their airplanes to fly three minutes. Pilots of the 15th Army Air Force Squadron formed “The Three Minute Egg Club.”…

Lt. Lee A. Archer became one of the most proficient fighter pilots in the 332d Fighter Group during World War II.

This W. S. Phillips oil painting, Two Down, One to Go, portrays C. D. “Lucky Lester” in a P-51 Mustang scoring his second of three victories on July 18, 1944.